If you’re looking for a comprehensive, honest, and objective review of Fiverr – the Israel-based online marketplace for freelance services, and want to know how to hire someone on Fiverr – then you’re in the right place.
I’ve tried it myself and in this article, I share everything you need to know about hiring a VA, or other talented freelancers from Fiverr, and the pros and cons along with the costs of the process.
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is an online platform for virtual freelance services all over the world where you can find people to do all sorts of work, like graphic design, logo design, business plans, financial projections, and lots more.
You can find long-term support staff on Fiverr, but you can also try people out for small tasks to see how they do. But the key is knowing how ot hire someone on Fiverr.
Fiverr has been around since 2010, so it’s one of the more established platforms of its kind. There are over 3 million services available on Fiverr, and new ones are being added all the time.
Fiverr is a great platform to find freelancers, called “Fiverr sellers” or “Fiverr gigs” to meet your budget. Originally, Fiverr gigs were services offered by freelancers. Most freelancers offer it for $5 but now there are gigs offered at various prices.
Fiverr is based in Tel Aviv, but the company has an international presence with offices in New York City, London, and Miami. Fiverr sellers live all over the world.
Fiverr Marketplace vs. Fiverr Business
Fiverr has two different offerings: the Fiverr marketplace and Fiverr Business.
The Fiverr marketplace is the original platform where you can browse and purchase gigs from individual freelancers all over the world.
Fiverr Business is a new service that allows you to connect with pre-vetted, high-quality freelancers, and provides additional features like a dedicated account manager, custom price quotes, and more.
Fiverr Business is geared towards larger businesses with more complex needs, while the Fiverr marketplace is better for individuals or small businesses who need one-off tasks completed.
What’s a Fiverr Gig?
A gig is a service that a freelancer offers on Fiverr.
Tasks You Can Delegate on Fiverr | Fiverr Gigs
You can delegate almost anything that you would think to give a VA or virtual personal assistant to freelancers on Fiverr. To give you examples, here are the tasks that I’ve delegated to them, including links to my favorite Fiverr gigs:
- Build excel financial model, forecasts, budget, and business plan. Click here to order from the best excel support provider.
- Keyword Research for SEO
- Data entry – add leads to my lead tracker spreadsheet from the last 3 weeks of calendar appointments
- Write SEO title, description, and tags for YouTube videos
- Write copy for sales landing page
- Pinterest marketing growth and management
- Create a Shopify Dropshipping store
How much do Fiverr VAs cost?
Fiverr prices, or gig prices, start at $5 but can be more depending on the freelance work. You can also find “extra fast” gigs that are completed in a shorter time frame for an additional fee.
You may also be charged extra fees depending on the complexity of the task.
Five Steps to Hire Freelancers from Fiverr Marketplace | How Fiverr Marketplace Works
Step 1: Account/Order Creation
To hire freelancers from Fiverr, first, create an account and then browse through the different gigs that are available using the search bar. Or, if you prefer, you can create an “order” that is similar to a job description, and Fiverr sellers can send you offers.
Step 2: Identifying the Seller
Once you find a gig that you’re interested in, read the gig description carefully and check out the seller’s reviews to get an idea of what others have said about their work. Beware of fake reviews. You can spot professional freelancers in this way and can avoid poor-quality services.
Step 3: Ordering a Gig
Once you’ve found a gig that you’re happy with, click the “Order” button and provide instructions for the task that you want to be completed.
Step 4: Communication
To protect yourself and the seller, follow Fiverr’s policy and always communicate through the Fiverr app.
Step 5: Review the Work and Giving Feedback
Once the task is completed, you’ll have the opportunity to review the work and leave feedback for the seller.
The Pros and Cons of Using Fiverr to Hire Freelancers:
Here is a detailed explanation of the pros and cons of using Fiverr to hire freelance talents:
- Fiverr is a great platform for hiring freelancers, called “Fiverr sellers” or “Fiverr gigs” to meet your budget.
- Freelancers on Fiverr get reviews from Fiverr buyers. However, not everyone on Fiverr is honest and there are a plethora of fake reviews on the website so you need to be careful.
- Fast access to a global pool of available freelancers. If you need a task done quickly at an affordable price, then Fiverr is a good solution for hiring freelancers. Each Fiverr gig page shows where they live, and their average response time when their last delivery was. That way you can see who is active and likely to be available when you need them. And, you can be sure of the lower delivery time.
- Need something done quickly? Want a task done but don’t want to manage a full-time employee? Benefit from a diverse talent pool of Fiverr sellers who can get jobs done for you as needed.
- It makes sense that you’d want to find long-term talented freelancers. Fiverr gives a business owner the opportunity to test out different Fiverr gigs to see which ones perform the best. Since Fiverr prices are generally lower than on other online platforms like Upwork, you can order similar tasks from a few sellers to see which ones you like the best.
- Buyer Protection: Fiverr protects buyers by giving refunds when needed. But you must conduct business on the Fiverr platform in order to be eligible for a refund. But you need to conduct business inside of Fiverr anyway because contacting buyers or sellers outside of Fiverr and accepting payments outside is strictly forbidden. If you violate this, your account can be permanently banned.
- Too many choices can be overwhelming. It takes time to shift through Fiverr gigs, but you can make it easier by sifting out the ones with negative reviews and finding sellers with positive feedback.
- Fiverr reviews aren’t 100% reliable. This one is super annoying to me! Sellers frequently contact each other or ask their friends to purchase and rate their services in order to acquire fake testimonials, which might lead to poor quality. I think it’s pretty easy to spot a fake review, but then again, I’m not completely sure.
- If Fiverr freelancers are a regular part of your strategy, you’ll inevitably end up with low-quality work from time to time. When ordering gigs, have reasonable expectations or you might be disappointed. Sellers on Fiverr can apply to Fiverr Pro– by using them you can increase your chances of finding skilled talent for your tasks.
Can I Find Long-Term People on Fiverr?
Yes, you can absolutely find long-term support on Fiverr! I’ve found a couple of VAs that I really like and have hired them for longer-term projects.
Just be sure that when hiring someone for a longer-term project, you do your due diligence and check out their reviews, and samples of their work, and communicate with them directly to make sure that they’re a good fit for you. As always, check your local, state, and federal employment laws when adding people to your team.
Learn more about How to Hire a Virtual Assistant.
If you’re not sure about Fiverr, here are some other platforms where you can find freelance services of the same quality:
Fiverr Review TLDR:
Fiverr is a great cost-effective solution for business owners who want to get tasks done quickly and efficiently. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential pitfalls, like fake reviews and inconsistency in quality. When using Fiverr, have reasonable expectations and you’re sure to find success. I’ve found some true gems on Fiverr who have been invaluable in building my businesses, but I’ve also kissed many frogs.
Using Fiverr to help build your startup? Read “How to get Startup Ideas: Advice for Future Founders”